Wednesday, November 02, 2005

iPod and the sneetches



Remember the sneetches - half of them have bellies with stars, and half of the Sneetches have no stars on thars. The ones with stars pretend they're better and ignore the others - consequently the others want stars too.

In steps Sylvester McBean, with his magical Star-On and Star-Off Machine, who says "Step right in, I'm the Fix-it-Up Chappie. I'll change all your bellies and then you'll be happy!"

Once the ones without stars have them, the ones with stars originally want to get rid of theirs. And so it goes until McBean has relieved them of all their money.

What's this got to do with the ipod? In the beginning you could be cool by just having one, now its not cool to have one anymore - because everyone's got one. I know friends are now buying other products because iPods are too mass market. However its still the best product in its category, and Apple has bought the flash memory of the world, so its going to be hard to build anything to compete. What to do. Ultimately, I think this is a problem for Apple as they need to foster the cool people to wear their gear.

I think they're is a lot more scope for ipod cases than is currently being utilised. The stuff we have on the whole still scream out - I've got an ipod. Whereas I think they're is a market for stuff that looks really good and where you have the functionality of an ipod, without the mass market looks. I'm currently getting quotes for the nano molds - I'm going to post my renders soon. Personalisation is a big factor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home