Tuesday, August 30, 2005

GPRS in France

Sorry for the dull content - its more for the benefit of googlers as I could find nothing useful before I went.

Some good news, some bad news.

Good news - coverage and reception is good unless you're in a forest of course haha.
Bad news - uh we were in a forest.

If you buy an SFR sim card like I did - which is no joke to negotiate in pigeon french - you will be disappointed because if its pay as you go it will not allow you to use the phone as a modem, this is only available on contract. I only found out after I tried and then rung up technical support. Aaaagggghhh. You do get wap access though so I was able to get on the bbc which is fantastic and google which automagically changes the results into wml - but the amount of paging you continually have to do to get to the content on normal webpages is a real ballsache.

Oh before I forget - I could try and use my uk vodafone sim, but it cost a load - £8 a meg on sfr and if you had to switch over to orange £15 a meg. Even with images turned off it gets really expensive.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for this Mark.
Have you tried any other networks in France recently, or found any other way to get the price per meg down?

1:01 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home