Sunday, December 31, 2006

Alain de Botton: The Art of Travel

Everyone knows I'm a massive reader. There is nothing more I like than sitting down with a thick book on ancient ruins, views of Derbyshire, birdsong or stately homes.

However this book, and especially a single chapter of it, is speaking to me in a profound way, igniting again a passion for art. It makes plain the things which I feel vividly, but could never express verbally or in writing. De Botton is verbalising my unconcious thoughts, as if an interpreter for a mute child.

The chapter in question is the second, entitled "On Travelling Places". De Botton uses the work of Edward Hopper and Charles Baudelaire as mirrors to hold up against his own troubled thoughts. On service stations at night -

"I remained in one corner, eating fingers of chocolate and taking occasional sips of orange juice. I felt lonely but, for once, this was a gentle even pleasant kind of loneliness because, rather than unfolding against a backdrop of laughter and fellowship, in which i would suffer from a contrast between my mood and the environment, it had its locus in a place where everyone was a stranger, where the difficulties of communication and the frustrated longing for love seemed to be acknowledged and brutally celebrated by the architecture and lighting."


I have, through De Botton, restarted a journey that I have long postponed. Next stops - Hopper and Baudelaire.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Artist Unknown

Flesh is willing, but the Soul requires
Sisyphean patience for it song.
Time , Hippocrates remarked , is short
and Art is long.

No illustrious tombstones ornament
the lonely churchyard where I often go
to hear my heart, a muffled drum, parade
incognito

'Many a gem' the poet mourns, abides
forgotten in the dust,
unnoticed there;
'many a rose' regretfully confides
the secret of its scent
to empty air.

A favourite Baudelaire poem of mine.
it's from the classic 'Les Fleurs du Mal' - fantastic.
I introduced this poem to my Dad and he kept using it in after dinner speaking engagements (- I think Skewen Rugby Club were rather taken aback..)
Happy New Year. Art is definitely the answer- it's just getting the bastard time to bastard do it
love as always, Cathy xxx

4:03 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home